Search This Blog

Friday, June 28, 2019

Indigo Dyed Wool Hand Spun By Me

Now I won't tell you this dye came from my garden as my madder dye plants were. But I did try. I planted 18 indigo plants. And one did sprout up and grew to be a pretty big plant. But the process of creating a dye from the plant was, um, baffling. Strangely, by accident, dripping some of the pre-reduced liquid on my yarn put a pale blue splotch on one of the skeins. That was strange. I did not see this until I was ready to place the yarn into the indigo vat. Well, it was a mini vat. And smelled pretty foul. But all that busy work and no color. Boo. Here is where I bought the Indigo seeds


So I was like, what the heck, let me go with some pre-reduced indigo. At left is what it looks like. Very awesome. Here is the link to where I bought it.
 Brush Creek Wool Works
I bought 2 bags of 1 oz each at 4.50 a bag. I used 1/2 a bag and got all the color you see in the yarn above. So much easier. I liked there was no weeding the around the plant. Sorry no pictures. That computer's guts vanished. It was a Vista. You can see why it died. But I love old things. I cannot help it. Hell, I still have my Windows Millennium upstairs in the back room which is actually an attic-ish type spooky place. There also hides two old typewriters. And you may have seen my Walking Wheel elsewhere on this blog. Enough said.


These two skeins on the right I tried to get a heathered feel by tying the skeins with two knots. Though the colors are lighter here than in real life, I hope you can see how they turned out. I love heathered yarns. 

Oh man, there is a teen aged human wondering around. Not a bad thing mind you just that he is awake. Time to get gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment